Monday, May 4, 2009

Where do green eyes come from?

I know that brown eyes are dominant and blue eyes are recessive, but I have green eyes, so how did that happen? Two of my children have beautiful brown eyes, and the third is still too young to tell. He currently has blue. At my last doctor's visit with my baby, my doctor said "looks like he's going to have blue eyes." Both of my other children were born with blue eyes, but they changed to brown. I want to know where green eyes come from and what are the chances that my baby's eyes will stay blue.



Here is what I found:

Eye color is not just the choice between brown and blue, even though that is what was taught in biology. It is much more complicated. Eye color is based on more than just a 2 gene system. It is called a polygenetic system. Because eye color is a more complicated process, 2 blue eyed people could even end up with a brown eyed baby. Which seemed to me to be impossible before reading articles on this topic.
Most Caucasian babies are born with blueish eyes, but may change. Eye color is usually set by 9 months old, but can change for up to 3 years.


In my search for answers on this topic I found a eye color predictor. Click here to enter, the mother's and father's eye color and eye color genes and the calculator will predict the eye color of the child or children. This predicted that out of 3 children for me and my husband, all three would have brown eyes. For the next nine months, I will be observing my baby to see if the eye color predictor was right.

I found this chart on this website. The probability of ending up with each eye color is listed.

Eye color facts:

Brown is the most common eye color worldwide.
Green is the most rare.
Blue is the most common eye color in Caucasians.
Less than 3 percent of the worlds population has red hair and of those only about 3 percent have brown eyes. ( I am married to one of these rare specimen)

Conclusion:

Apparently green eyes are caused by a gene mutation and are completely complicated to explain. I am excited to watch to see if my baby will end up with brown, blue or somewhere in between eye color. This is all very interesting to me. Genetics is a complicated process where "normal rules apply, unless they don't".

31 comments:

  1. Ooh, I didn't know eyes were so interesting (or that yours and mine were so rare). Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, blue is a gene deformity, and all blue eyed ppl are related. The deformity happened around 10000 years ago. Also, there are rare eye mutations that cause dark grey eyes, violet, and even red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am left handed and have green eyes! And this was posted on my birthday, so: neat! I didn't know all of this about green eyes, although I had heard some of it! This was really helpful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this very interesting. I can say, however, that the above chart is incorrect, because I have green eyes and was born to parents who had brown and blue eyes. According to the above chart that is a zero percent probability and I'm here to let you know it can happen. My mother has brown eyes and my father has blue eyes they produced 4 children, 2 with brown eyes, 1 with blue eyes and then me with green eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same thing happened to me how odd. one patrent with blue and other with brown. 4 kids two with brown and one with blue and me with green eyes, i am the yongest.

      Delete
  5. This was very Interesting! but I agree with the above post..the chart is incorrect. I have green eyes and my father has blue and my mother brown. My brother has brown as well. I saw another website that said the chances of me having green was 10 percent..with 50 percent chance of brown and 40 with blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my grandpa had blue eyes and my grandma had brown, my dad and aunt has brown eyes and my uncle has blue eyes and my mom has black eyes and as i said my dad has brown and i have very brown eyes

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mom has brown eyes my dad has blue but I have green eyes and orangish red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ''my mom has brown eyes my dad has blue but I have green eyes and orangish red hair. ''

    ...lol, is called ginger mate! haha...

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREEN EYES R THE BEST!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This article was interested. It finds that blue eyes came from one person, a single ancestor we all have in common if we have blue eyes, who lived between 6000-10,000 year ago.

    http://www.facebook.com/l/f7d2bwV72Im2dJj1euaWFVwMBdw;zidbits.com/2010/11/13/where-do-blue-eyes-come-from/

    ReplyDelete
  11. my mother had hazel eyes my father brown I have green and 1 sister has brown the other blue. So my mother is not on the chart, so what does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chart is correct, we have all heard the mikeman stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is very interesting
    my father has GREY eyes... i have looked very closely and i cant find any pigment in them kinda weird and my mother is a redhead with brown eyes and i have green eyes and my brother has grey...kinda funny how it all works!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi...

    Both my parents have brown eyes & I have gree/grey eyes...Both of my brothers have brown eyes...

    Very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  15. Green eyes are more of a curses than a blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ummmm... noooooo

      Delete
    2. I would not say a curse. I have yellowish green eyes and kids used to tease me and call me cat eyes. It wasn't until I hit puberty and all the boys oggoled at my eyes that I realized how rare and unique they are.

      Delete
  16. My father and my mother have brown eyes and brown hair. I have reddish blond hair and green eyes. Where did that come from?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mom has brown eyes. My dad has blue eyes. All of their parents have brown eyes. I have green eyes though so how did this happen?

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mother has brown eyes, my father has blue eyes and I have green eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Dad had blue eyes and my Mom has brown. I have green eyes. I have no idea where my green eyes came from!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My father also has blue eyes while my mother has brown, yet I have green eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both my kids have green eyes, my daughter very light green and my son hazel. I have blue and my husband is Chinese with brown of course. Mutation or what?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very interesting!!But this Chart is incorrect! Why I say ,is Because both my Parents have brown eyes and they have 4 children which all came out with Light Eyes ..2 of us have green eyes and the other 2 have blue eyes..Ihave kids and they both have brown eyes when I have green eyes .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please remember folks that your parents also had parents!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mine are navy blue but turn violet when well slept. Most have blue eyes on both sides of the family, closely followed by green. There are only a few individuals with brown eyes, so they are the rare ones in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I seem to remember from basic biology that it is impossible for two brown eyed parents to have a blue eyed child.

    ReplyDelete
  26. By the way, my brother has green and his wife has brown, but their eldest son has blue, which is quite possible.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eyes are fascinating! Can't wait to see what my kid gets. My eyes are green, light green/yellowish toward the pupils and gets darker towards the outside. My husband has brown, light/ yellowish towards the pupils and gets darker towards the outside. I hope green they are the prettiest :-) my whole life people have complimented me on my eyes (some people called me cat eyes, I didn't like that :-( I hope I pass on that trait to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My father has hazel eyes, my mother dark brown, and I have green eyes, my parents had lots of kids 9 total, one had yellowish eyes, 2 have light green/ yellowish eyes, one hazel, and the rest have brown eyes??? Interesting...
    I must admit I love having my rare green eyes with many colors in them..

    ReplyDelete